Mr. Carlos Ryerson has been in practice for over 45 years, and has most recently headed Ryerson & Associates, P.C. for fifteen years. Prior to that, he was senior counsel in the International Energy Section of Jackson Walker, LLP, a Texas based law firm, handling international energy projects. Previous to that, he worked at Enron Corp. and was responsible for the company’s power and energy projects and development activities in the Dominican Republic and Jamaica. In such capacity, Mr. Ryerson headed the company’s legal team in complex workouts involving both local and U.S. governments, project lenders, and various international organizations. He was also the lead attorney in the company’s participation in privatizations; development of LNG terminals and power plants; purchase and sale of barge mounted power plants; and corporate structuring in connection with power projects.
Mr. Ryerson also had active involvement in assisting government agencies in electric sector privatization matters, including the drafting of resolutions, regulations, and proposed legislation. Prior to that, Mr. Ryerson served as co-head of the international department of the Houston office of Adams & Reese, and headed his own law firm for over 17 years.
Mr. Ryerson began his professional career at Baker & Botts in Houston, Texas in 1974. He is fluent in Spanish and English, and conversant in French, Portuguese and German. He is licensed to practice law in Texas, New York, and Colorado.
Areas of Expertise
- Transnational project development, structuring, and financing
- Foreign infrastructure projects
- Foreign and domestic joint ventures, mergers, and acquisitions
- US Immigration law
- Representation of foreign persons in domestic activities, including counseling on structuring, corporate, mergers & acquisitions, real estate, commercial, tax matters, and regulatory matters
- Negotiation with, and representation of, foreign governments
- Global marketing, technology licensing, and protection of intellectual property
- Transnational estate planning and asset protection
- Energy law
- EB-5 Regional Center formation and counseling
- Transnational litigation management and arbitration
JD, Law; 1971-1974
AB, Political Science: 1966-1970